Listed below are a few of the frequently asked questions we receive. Click the plus (+) sign to reveal the answer. Click the minus (-) sign to hide the answer. If you still have questions about our services, after reading through this list, please contact our office.

Who can I talk to about my case?
Absolutely no one except your attorney. Do not discuss your case with anyone at the jail. Do not discuss your case with police, with your cellmates, with your friends. Do not discuss your case on the jail phones, as those phones are monitored. Wait and discuss your case in private with someone from the Office of Criminal Conflict and Civil Regional Counsel, Region 1 (RC1).
What is an indigent defendant?
An indigent defendant is a person charged with a crime who is financially unable to hire an attorney.
How much will it cost me to bond out of jail?
Usually, a bondsman will charge you approximately 10% of the total bond amount. Most bondsman charge a minimum of $100. If your bond is $5000, the bondsman will most likely charge you $500. Most bondsmen take credit cards and well as cash.
What if the Judge does not give me a bond?
You will be contacted by RC1’s investigator or your attorney within 72 hours. Once information is gathered, your attorney will let you know the next step in your case.
The police did not read me my rights. Can I get my case dismissed?
Law enforcement officers are required to advice suspects who are in custody that they have certain constitutional rights—the right to remain silent, the right to an attorney, among others. If a suspect who is in custody is not advised of his or her “Miranda” rights, any statements or evidence taken from that suspect may be suppressed as evidence in the case against that suspect. Failure to read Miranda warnings does not result in the dismissal of any charges, only in the possible “suppression” of physical evidence or statements.
How are RC1 attorneys different from other criminal defense attorneys?
RC1 attorneys are no different than private attorneys.  They are licensed attorneys who have the same qualifications as other criminal defense attorneys. The only difference is in how the attorney gets paid for his services. Private criminal defense attorneys are hired by their clients to represent them in criminal court. This is a private, contractual relationship. RC1 attorneys are appointed to represent their clients and are paid a salary through public funds to represent criminal clients who cannot afford an attorney.
Can I hire a RC1 attorney?
No, RC1 attorneys are paid by the State of Florida to represent indigent clients and are not allowed to accept private clients.
What is a Baker Act hearing?
A Baker Act hearing is an involuntary mental health commitment proceeding.  Generally, they occur when it has been determined that a person is a threat to him/herself or others.
Can a RC1 attorney represent me in my divorce (or other civil case)?
No. The job of the RC1 attorneys are to represent indigent clients who have been appointed to RC1 office by the Court.
My children were taken away from me. I’ve been told I have rights. What are they?
• Right to an attorney
• Right to admit, deny or consent to the allegations made about you and your family.
• Right to be notified of all Court hearings.
• You may have an interpreter appointed by the Court if you do not speak English or cannot hear.
How can I get my children back home?
Your attorney will explain the procedure that includes completing a case plan and other requirements necessary for your particular case.
My attorney said I missed a court date but I didn’t receive any information about the court date.
It is important that you let the Court and your attorney know any time you have a change in your address and phone number.
Will I have to go to Court in order to get my children back or does my attorney handle everything for me?
Yes, the Court will require you to attend several court hearings so that the Judge and others may listen to all sides and decide what is best for your child.